The Music Mobility Fund is a touring platform funded and administered by Concerts SA which offers opportunities for South African musicians to undertake live music tours. Music professionals are invited to apply for funding from a National Mobility Fund (for projects in South Africa), and a Regional Mobility Fund (for projects taking place in SADC countries, excluding South Africa).
Applications are currently OPEN. Click here for more information.
Originally initiated and funded by the British Council’s Connect/ZA programme and the SAMRO Foundation, the Music Mobility Fund received 66 applications and provided support for 14 projects in 2013: live music tour performances, research-based collaborations and professional creative exchange took place in Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zimbabwe and the UK.
The recipients of the first funding round in 2013 were:
- Cross-border collaboration between maskandi guitarist Maqhinga Radebe and Mozambican composer Dino Miranda.
- Nceba Mqolomba– trip to Manchester to collaborate with Mr Scruff of Ninja Tune.
- iSupport Business– exchange tour with Rooted Soulz in Swaziland.
- The Brother Moves On– Southern African Tour: Sakifo in Reunion, Azgo Festival in Maputo, Bushfire in Swaziland.
- The participation of Freshlyground in school and children activities of Azgoito (Mozambique)
The recipients of the second funding round in 2013 were:
- A professional development jazz workshop in Lesotho by Joseph Sabongo.
- A musical performance at the Peace Agreement Day in Mozambique by Fernando Joao Ladria.
- The ‘Ascension of the SADC Tour’ in Mozambique and Swaziland incorporating a collaboration with local musicians in these countries – by Tlale Makhene.
- A professional development project by Derek Gripper which included concert performances in the UK for Malian kora music interpreted on guitar.
- An intercultural experience tour of live music at Shoko Festival 2013 by The Word N Sound
- Two performances by Motif Records artists at the Malawian Festival ‘City of Stars’ Festival.
- A research trip to Birmingham (UK) by Mokale Koapeng to develop a new collaborative choral piece.
- ‘The Friendship Tour’ performance in Swaziland and Mozambique by Bateleur.
- A four day series of concerts in Namibia by Andre Hendrikus Stander.
Since 2014 the Music Mobility Fund is funded and administered by Concerts SA. The 2014 call out received 118 applications from which 16 projects were selected, 6 for SADC regional touring and 10 for SA national touring:
- The Southern Africa tour by Carlo Mombelli & The Stories Ensemble.
- Performance at Sauti Za Busara Festival of Ihhashi Elimhlophe‘s 12-piece maskandi band.
- Bokani Dyer Trio tour through Botswana, Mozambique and South Africa.
- Frank Paco‘s “Buyanini” album launch tour in South Africa and Maputo.
- Three Steps Within tour to Mozambique.
- Tour to Botswana by Tumi Mogorosi‘s Project Elo.
- “Borders & Beyond” tour through KZN, Gauteng, Free State and the Eastern Cape by Luna Paige.
- The Mike RossiProject tour through KZN.
- “Side By Side” 5-province tour by Josie Field & Laurie Levine.
- Steve Dyer‘s “Confluence” album tour in KZN.
- Benjamin Jephta‘s “Homecoming” album presentations in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
- Thandi Ntuli “The Offering” national tour through 4 provinces.
- Collaborative performance tour of Madala Kunene in the Western Cape and Gauteng.
- “Acoustic Masala” collaborative tour by Pops Mohamed & Dave Reynolds with Sylvain Baloubeta around the Western Cape.
- Peter Auret Trio national tour.
- Lindiwe Maxolo tour through KZN.
The 2015 April call received 104 applications from which 23 projects were selected, 10 for SADC regional touring and 13 for SA national touring:
- Kyle Shepherd
- The Undergrounds
- bFakefeaturing EJ Von Lyrik & DJ Fosta
- Amandla Freedom Ensemble featuring Oscar Rachabane
- Philani Ngidi & the Afro Divas
- Cab2Strab Tour: 7thSon, Crimson House, Kings Down South, and Ann Jangle doing a fundraising tour towards Strab Festival
- Guy Buttery
- Marcus Wyatt’s Language 12
- Julian Redpath
- Movi M
- Family First (Boywonder, Xrated & Base1)
- Keenan Ahrends
- Lieva Starker
- Sevenic Stylic Music
- The Tolbos Tour (with Michael Canfield, Nicole Theron, Greg Georgiades, Les Javan, Rian Malanand Rynier Prins)
- Offshore Jazz
- Uptown Rhythm Collective
- Battle of Saxes (Matthew Lombardand Karendra Devroop)
- Wendy Oldfield & Paul Hanmer
- Mabeleng Moholo